Oil Spill

Monday, March 2, 2015


Oil Spill 1, watercolor.

Waves crash over the heart
and pull at skin, eyes, hair
until I’m only
salt.

I can’t control the tides,
a reminder that the earth pulls me along with her.
Through ebbs
and flows
undeterred by human desire.

And the hard-beaten salty self
will close her eyes to shield from the harsh light
and the memory of someone
who’s not there anymore,
like maybe the sun will have to someday do
when she can no longer shed tears
for her lost lover:
planet earth.

Oil Spill 2, watercolor.

-----

A few recent works and thoughts for you today. These two watercolor paintings were done in response to an assignment for my art course in school, my chosen theme being the relationship between humans and the environment (a topic that I always find myself drawn back to). However, I do feel there is more behind these pictures for me personally.

Without saying more, I'd love to hear any responses to these works if you're willing to share! You can leave comments below.

Also, look forward to a post in the next couple of days with drawings from my weekend in Paris!

Stay updated with coming posts by subscribing to Our Great World!


Leave a Comment

Post a Comment