Sketches of the workings of the springtime sun

Monday, March 23, 2015





The sun has begun to make her springtime appearance. It's a tentative performance, as she remains a bit shy, but it's becoming more confident. The effect of this on my mood and outlook is incredible. It wasn't that my rainy winter has been filled with longing for sunshine, but when the clouds part and the sun comes out, I can't help but smile.

I love the way the sun shines through the streets and lights up the buildings. As I've perhaps mentioned, I am very attracted to the architecture of European houses and apartment buildings, and the sunlight casts shadows that create interesting contrasts and bring out interesting patterns around windows and along rooftops. I went outside a few days ago and tried to capture with black ink the stark contrasts created by the fresh sunshine.


By the way, the works in this post are on a bigger scale than many of my previous recent works, in this case DIN A3, or 42 x 30 cm/16.5 x 11.7 in. It's good practice to be drawing a bit bigger again.

-----

Spring has been making an appearance in other forms as well. The plants, like me, have noticed the sunshine and warming temperatures and are sending out their tendrils to test if it's really true, if winter is really reaching an end. 

In my attempt to document life as it's happening around me, in particular right now in the process of my year, I of course wanted to complete a series of blossoms. And I just love flowers and plants and their aesthetic.




I hope, wherever you are, that the beginning of spring has started to show itself in some way and that you can enjoy those little moments! I'd love to hear what the change of seasons looks like in your corner of the world.

If you like what you've seen here, please subscribe to Our Great World!

Leave a Comment

Post a Comment